Finally decided to implement default terrain selection in new map menu.
Table on the right will show all available terrain surfaces.
There are 2 issues remaining to solve:
- Menu does not have terrain textures loaded, so there’s nothing to show as “terrain icons”. Working around that to find the best solution might take some time.
- New map generation does not expect to be told which terrain to use. This will be trivial to fix. (fixed on 24/01)
I apologize if this seems ignorant but wouldn’t it be possible to simply link the button to an image? I assume you’ve tried something like that but it doesn’t hurt to suggest things. This is looking really good, excellent work from everybody involved! 🙂
Hi, thanks for constructive comment!
Here’s simplified outline:
– game assets are loaded in 3 big batches (common, menu, gameplay) to distribute loading times and be able to unload menu / game in future, if memory usage becomes an issue
– while in menu, only common and menu assets are loaded
– to add button images they need to be either in common or in menu assets
– terrain textures are inside of game assets
– moving terrain textures into common would be wasteful, cos they are 1024*1024px and we only need a small portion of them for icons, also they take quite some time to unpack/load
– creating new icons from textures and placing them into common would be prone to mistakes (when textures change, icons could become outdated)
– perhaps, data packer tool could be configured to copy small portion of textures and saving them into common, but that would make the build process a bit more complicated
This is a minor problem that will get solved somehow. Thought it will be interesting to readers to see obstacles that come up in development )
well, at least get done with it before september of this year.
Both issues were resolved last week 🙂
Hi, Frist Sorry my english. hahahaha
I am Brazilian and I am very grateful for what they did in the KaM. I played as a child and today after being married I was happy to see that they took the game to the next generation.
I would really like to see this new project ready, it has a lot of potential.
Thank you very much.